Monday, January 4, 2016

Errand Day

Today was spent running around. I woke up and took my daughter to school because the hubby had an appointment. Yeah, we were late but I don’t stress about it anymore. I know it’s a big deal to many parents but my philosophy is that the penalty isn’t great enough to convince me to sacrifice my pleasant, cooperative, low key mornings for the hustle, bustle and stress associated with saving a minute or two. But that’s just me… my husband is on time, most of the time. I will give him that. We got to school and I realized, I left my cell phone at home. So after I dropped her off, I headed back home and called a friend. S lives in Texas but she used to live here in Maryland so I miss her LOTS. We really needed a good “catch up” call and we got it but I needed to start my day so I headed out and had to end our fun talk.

My first stop was my girlfriend’s house to check on it since she’s traveling out of the country. I just brought in the mail, disposed of the dead flowers, emptied out the fridge, wiped down the dusty surfaces and took the trash out to the dumpster. I got two phone calls while I was there which slowed me down a bit – if you don’t know I really struggle to do more than one thing at a time. Not all women are great multi-taskers, let’s debunk that grand myth right now!

Before I left my girlfriend’s house to head to a few stores for returns, I text my other girlfriend, Sharon. Sharon has been elusive lately and boy did I recognize those signs. She was displaying all of the same behaviors I demonstrated last year as a battled through depression. I became reclusive and elusive. I got “quiet”, if that makes any sense. Boy had Sharon been quiet. I was concerned. I eventually harassed her enough to convince her to join me for lunch. Went to TJ Maxx for a return, then to Ross Dress for Less and returned 3 more things. While I’m on the topic, may I ask a question? Since when did stores start putting time limits on returns WITH the original receipt? What is that about?! If I bought it and I never used it and I paid for it, give me my doggone money back, please and thank you. Geesh! Okay, stepping down from soapbox now.

Sharon and I enjoyed Panera and good conversation. I love her dearly. My friends are so simple yet complicated. But I’m glad they are in my life. After Sharon and I finished we went to Wal-Mart where she made me spend money unnecessarily… AGAIN. Smh… I really need to stop. I’m so ashamed. But not quite ashamed enough to return everything so I guess we should move on. After that, I went to the bank and then got home at 3:25pm. Seriously? I’ve been gone all day and now I have to pick up the kid in like 15 minutes. Ever had one of those days?


Even though I got a lot done, yet didn’t feel super accomplished, the most important thing I did today was see, sit down with and enjoy my friends S and Sharon. My friends are important to me. I am fiercely loyal to them and watch out for them like a big brother should (except you know I’m a female, right? Ok.) That time I spend with them is an investment into our bond, our love for one another, our friendship. It is by far the best investment I can offer because I can never get my time back once I’ve spent it. How I fill my time becomes a memory. So today, I created beautiful memories and invested in my closest friends therefore, I have accomplished more than I thought! I’m grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment