Monday, January 11, 2016

Why we need to get off of prescriptions?

So I went to Target today and since we have no insurance right now, I had to pay cash for my husband's prescriptions. He is diabetic and is on a cocktail of pills to manage that along with high blood pressure and a few other things. This morning he shares that he's been out of his diabetes medication for days now and he is beginning to feel it so he really needs me to pick up this medication.

I am so glad I decided to call the pharmacy first. I spoke with a nice young lady who calmly, yet hesitantly shared that his prescription would cost be $1,300.07. I will pause here so that you can pick up your bottom lip from the floor. I think I choked on my saliva when she said that. I had to repeat it, just to be clear. Oh h*** naw!! I actually contemplated letting my husband suffer without the medication. Oh hush! It was only for a moment... or two. After I regained my senses, I had the presence of mind to ask her about a 30-day supply, as that price was for a 90-day supply. She checked and the 30-day cost was $436.07. I really like how they add that .07 cent at the end, like anyone even cares, after hearing the numbers BEFORE the decimal point. Then she mentioned that they take coupons too.

Coupons you say?

So I googled til my fingers fell off and found two coupons. Printed them and headed out. I got there and presented my coupons. Guess what? The guy tells me that they only work for people with insurance. Naturally. As he started to run my second coupon option, I decided to pick up the rejected coupon and read the fine print, which clearly stated that people without insurance WERE eligible. I pointed that out to him and he got the manager to help. About 5 minutes later she shared that the lowest she could get it down to is $246.07. I closed my eyes and took several deep breaths. I asked her to hold on a second while I checked the bank account. Well, there goes groceries this month! That's cool. We can snack on the stuff in between the couch cushions and whatever cans of mystery food everyone has in their pantry. Clearly, I'm being a bit dramatic but only a BIT! This nearly took us out!

So basically, if you don't believe in living off of God's green earth and you think vegans are weird. If you believe that I'm a little creepy because I use the purest essential oils to support my body's overall health along with homeopathic products from organic markets - that is just fine. Because when all else fails, maybe you just don't have a bottomless bank account and could use that money you are spending on prescriptions monthly for other things in your life. That could be your reason to explore a different option. If not, then nevermind. Just delete this whole conversation from your mind and we'll both move on as thought nothing took place at all.

As for me? I am completely traumatized and have vowed to make it my mission to never be in that position again.

Whatever you choose... goodluck and Godspeed! (I'm not really sure what Godspeed means but it seemed a fitting way to end this one, so do me a favor and go with it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment