Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Sleepover Heaven (or Hell)


So my daughter’s birthday was today and I have no idea why but I agreed to host a sleepover with a few of her closest friends. Um, yeah, so that became 10 people. What can I say, she’s a little social butterfly! So the best way to work these things is to not operate in a bubble and instead, get help from friends and family. So I enlisted help from my girlfriend K who has been out of the country and decided not to come back for another month. So she was out. Then my relative M said she would help but her mom got ill and my mom had to fly out to see her. So she was out! Then my girlfriend S said she would help but didn’t reply to my text or show up at all. She actually fell asleep and by the time she woke up, I was well into the party so I didn’t see the point in her coming. The prep is probably what killed me.

Let me put this into perspective for you. We recently downsized from a three story, luxury town home, with 4 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms and a ton of space! Now we live in a 2 bedroom apartment. We sold stuff, gave away stuff, kept stuff, donated stuff… and there was STILL stuff!! And that stuff was in the living room of the new apartment. So I needed to get all of that out of there for her party. That involves, sorting, washing, tossing, organizing etc. THAT was the laborious part. 

Over this weekend I greeted and entertained 10 seven and eight year olds, cooked three meals, washed dishes about 4 times, cleaned the ENTIRE house (I will note here that my husband did the floors), resolved disputes, played games, created projects, fixed stuff that broke and probably a few other things.. FINALLY, by 11pm everyone was tucked in and asleep! That’s when the baking was supposed to begin but I clearly was enjoying a pipe dream because my exhaustion level was beyond the scales. Instead, I fell asleep. 


So I woke up around 6:45am and several of the girls were already up. WHYYYYYYYY?????!!!!!! Oh, did that slip out? My bad. Anyhoo, I started baking the birthday cake immediately and once I got it into the oven, I cooked breakfast. Crescent rolls, pancakes and bacon with Honest juice. All organic, of course. They tore it up!! I silently patted myself on the back.

After that we needed to get dressed and load up to head to the bowling alley. What? You thought it was over? Heck no! The party was JUST getting crunk! Wait? Is that word still in? It seemed appropriately placed right there so let me know if that was a foul on the play. Anyway, they loved the bowling and my little girl felt wildly celebrated. She also discovered that she’s pretty darn good at bowling (with the bumpers of course). There were a couple of late pick ups so I didn’t get back to my bed until around 4:30ish. I fell asleep around 6 and slept through until the next morning. Talk about tired!! But it was all worth it. Can I get an Amen from the parents out there?           Thanks. J

No comments:

Post a Comment